As Crouchlands is quiet, we felt that our local supporters would be very interested to read of a heritage site down the road in Kirdford which needs your attention by Friday.
West Sussex County Council has announced that they intend to replace Boxal Bridge and have placed the issue in their forward Plan for October. (CLICK ON THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS ARTICLE TO SEE A PHOTO OF THE BRIDGE)
- The bridge is safe and has passed the last 7 inspections (done every 2 years) and the next one will take place in 2019.
- The bridge appears on an 1836 map. Three independent Highways engineers agree it is in need of some attention but NOT REPLACEMENT.
- It is a community asset in the Kirdford Neighbourhood Plan and listed as a heritage asset in Chichester District plan.
- It is one of 4 bridges giving access to and from the village, two of which are listed.
- The petition organised by KKWG to save the bridge in 2015 called for it NOT to be demolished attracted 3,376 signatures and triggered a WSCC Committee meeting.
- At that meeting, WSCC adopted a resolution, October 16th, 2015
- “that WSCC Highways work closely with the Kirdford and WG Parish Councils to explore the safest and most acceptable project for the future of the bridge, taking into account the rural environment as well as architectural and historical merit."
- Such close working has not happened.
- Both Parishes OBJECT as they have done since 2013
- The current plan FOR REPLACEMENT is unacceptable.
PROPOSED SCHEME TO REPLACE BOXAL BRIDGE – WSCC Forward Plan, October 2017
“The decision is required for the replacement of Boxal Bridge, which currently suffers from numerous structural and safety issues. The bridge is located on the borders of the parishes of Kirdford and Wisborough Green and carries the C109 over Boxal Brook.
“There has been extensive local objection to the proposal to replace the bridge, including a large public petition. Other options have been considered for the scheme addresses all of the issues and will minimise future maintenance costs to the council.
“The Cabinet Minister will be asked to agree to the development of a scheme for the full replace-ment of Boxal Bridge.”
Decision will be made by;
Cabinet Member for Highways + Infrastructure – Bob Lanzer, Crawley
0330 222 2871 (Cabinet office); Local issues 01293 884789
Kirdford + WG Parish council, Local CC member, any other relevant stakeholders
IF YOU WISH TO COMMENT PLEASE CONTACT THE FOLLOWING TWO PEOPLE BY FRIDAY
WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL
CHICHESTER PO19 1RG
CLLR LEAD HIGHWAYS/CRAWLEY
C/0 WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNTIL
CHICHESTER PO19 1RG
Cabinet Office: 0330 222 3838